Employment & Career Development Skills Series is intended for transitional youth and young adults who are about to enter the workforce or for adults with little to no real work history. It is designed to build an essential foundation of skills needed to be successful in today’s workplace. In addition to the traditional qualifications and technical skills usually considered, employers are also concentrating on new areas, including communication/public speaking, teamwork and problem-solving skills, as well as several personal attributes such as enthusiasm, commitment, common sense and positive self-esteem. Employment & Career Development addresses the soft skills that employers are seeking in their employees while taking the participant through the process of finding and securing the job that they desire and are qualified for.
The employment team helps students to:
- Explore career options
- Identify concrete steps for reaching their goals
- Develop a resume and cover letters
- Learn to use the latest technology for the job search e.g. the Internet
- Improve job interviewing skills
- Meet with very successful blind people to observe how they do their jobs